Fellow time-nuts,

Since I haven't seen any reports on this, I though I would write down a few lines.

While normal counters use a pair of phase-samples to estimate the frequency, now called Pi counters (big pi, which has the shape of the weighing function of frequency samples), counter vendors have been figuring out how to improve the precision of the frequency estimation for the given observation time. One approach is to overlay multiple measurements in blocks, which for the frequency estimation looks like a triangle-shape weighing, so this type of counter is referred to as Delta counters (again to resemble the shape).

Classical counters of the Pi shape is HP5370A, SR620 etc.
Classical counter of the Delta shape is the HP53132A.

However, counters using the Linear Regression methodology does not fit into either of those categories. Enrico Rubiola derived the parabolic shape of the weighing function (which I then independently verified after we spoke during EFTF 2014), and he then passed on the results to Francois Vernotte and other colleagues to continue the analysis.

The new weighing function is a parabolic, looking like an Omega sign, so that is the name for this type of counter.

Counters using the Omega shape is HP5371A, HP5372A, Pendelum CNT-90, CNT-91 etc.

These weighing shapes acts like filters, and the block variant of the Pi weighing has no real filtering properties, where as both the Delta and Omega shapes has strong low-pass properties, which is beneficial in that they will suppress white phase noise strongly, and that is the typical measurement limitation of counters. The counter resolution limit also acts like white phase noise even if it is a systematic noise, which can interact in interesting ways as we have seen when signal frequencies has interesting relationships to the reference frequency. However, for cases when this is not true, the weighing helps to reduce that noise too from the measurements.

For frequency estimation this is good improvements. This technique was actually introduced in optical measurements, as illustrated by J.J. Snyder in his 1980 and 1981 articles. This inspired further development of the Allan Variance to include the filtering technique of Snyder, and that resulted in the Modified Allan Variance (MVAR). Today we refer to the Snyder technique as the Delta counter.

What Rubiola, Vernotte et. al discovered was that using a Linear Regression (LR) type of frequency estimated for variance estimation forms a new measure which they ended up calling Parabolic Variance (PVAR). They have done a complete analysis of PVAR properties (noise response and EDF) and it has benefits over MVAR.

Variance made by a Delta counter thus becomes MVAR, but only as a special case.
Variance made by a Omega counter becomes PVAR, but only as a special case.

This is my main critique of their work, if you have access to the full stream of phase samples, you can form MVAR and PVAR using the two shaping techniques. However, if you use counters that perform these frequency estimations, then you can only correctly estimate variance of the two methods for the tau0 of the measurement result rate (and assuming that you know if they are back to back or interlaced, which is a mistake that was done at one time). If you have an Omega counter that produce frequency estimates and then process it further, the parabolic filtering shape does not change with m as it should for propper PVAR. This is exactly the same as using a Delta counter for frequency estimates and then perform variance estimation. For both cases, the counter will provide a fixed filtering bandwidth, but as you increase the m*tau0 for your analysis, the frequencies of your sample series will move into the pass-band of the low-pass filter and eventually the filtering effect is completely lost. The result is the hockey-puck response where the low-tau part of the ADEV/MDEV/PDEV curve first increases and then bends down to the white phase noise of the input as if it was not filtered.

While Vernotte et al does not provide guidance for how to extend the PVAR from shorter measurements, I have proposed such a solution to them.
Unfortunatly none of the existing counters will support that today.

Why then, should one use PVAR? Well, PVAR does give good suppression of white flicker noise, and just as MVAR does has a 1/tau^3 curve rather than 1/tau^2 curve. This means that the measurement noise can be suppressed more effectively and the source noise can be reached for a lower tau. PVAR will have a 3/4 of MVAR for the white phase nosie, so there is a 1.25 dB improvement there.

So, while it may read it from their papers that you get the PVAR from Omega counters, it's not the same in their analysis where the filtering function changes with m as you have with a typical counter which runs at fixed m. This is not to say that the PVAR technique is not useful.

Getting proper results with these types of techniques takes care in the detail, but if you do you can harvest their benefits.

For further reading, please check these articles:

E. Rubiola, On the measurement of frequency and of its sample variance with high-resolution counters (PDF, 130 kB), Rev. Sci. Instrum. vol.76 no.5 article no.054703, May 2005. ©AIP. Open preprint arXiv:physics/0411227 [physics.ins-det], December 2004 (14 pages, PDF 220 kB).
http://rubiola.org/pdf-articles/journal/2005rsi-hi-res-freq-counters.pdf

The Omega Counter, a Frequency Counter Based on the Linear Regression
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/278419387_The_Omega_Counter_a_Frequency_Counter_Based_on_the_Linear_Regression

Least-Square Fit, Ω Counters, and Quadratic Variance
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/274732320_Least-Square_Fit__Counters_and_Quadratic_Variance

The Parabolic variance (PVAR), a wavelet variance based on least-square fit
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/277665360_The_Parabolic_variance_%28PVAR%29_a_wavelet_variance_based_on_least-square_fit

I should probably shape this up into a proper article.