Dunno about a court case, but my many years of experience of academic
publishers is that they are very tight about releasing any freebies at all,
even old ones. I was quite surprised to see that free pdfs were available and
thought at the time that someone at Springer probably goofed.

Springer is not the worst of them but is certainly up there in terms of
difficulty getting free access. Once you see a tantalising reference to
something in a journal published by a top level academic publishers you usually
know  that you will either have to pay or go through an institutional library
to download it.

Morris