Dave,

Plot the #SV tracked and signal strength(s) over a couple of days. See if your
once or twice a day glitches correlate to periods of low reception.

To see what the reception of other z3801a owners look like:

http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_websites_list.htm

You may even want to try a lower mask instead of a higher mask. It's a
trade-off between fewer SV with solid reception and more SV with possibly
spotty reception.

Easy experiment: try 0 degrees for two days, then 15 degrees, then 30 degrees.

What I do is issue a syst:stat? command every 30 seconds. It's easy then to go
back to the log files and check things like constellation changes and
elevation, or brief or prolonged periods of holdover, etc.

/tvb