My bet is that the split between Medical and Test Equipment is to facilitate the eventual sale of one or the other division.

As for reliability I have mostly HP and Tektronix in my stable with an odd Racal and Boonton piece here and there. The Boontons never fail ( arguably much simpler) but the HP are an order of magnitude better than Tektronix. I suspect the medical stuff gets built with "mil-qualified" parts because the customer base has a higher tolerance for the added cost

Also dont forget guys a lot of the toys we have all bought on Evil-Bay , etc ,,are well beyond it's design life cycle I think the youngest Item I have in my "collection" is at least 25 years old.

Dave
ArtekManuals.com