Reed Dickinson sells a small oscilloscope calibrator that is well suited for checking 'scope operation "in the field", at hamfests or when stumbles across a seemingly nice 'scope in the local electronics store. It is a very nice, compact instrument. See

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CALIBRATOR-AND-TESTER-FOR-TEKTRONIX-OSCILLOSCOPES-NEW-WARRANTED-CALIBRATED-/131638462260?hash=item1ea6438734:g:ZqQAAOSw14xWLxEy

The price seems to have gone up substantially since I purchased mine.

I am not associated with Reed, but I am a satisfied customer.

DaveD