On 5/27/16 5:17 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 06:40:26 PM Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

Very interesting paper, thanks for sharing !!

One question:

In many DMTD (and single mixer) systems, a lowpass and high pass filter are
applied to the signal coming out of the mixer. This is done to improve the
zero crossing detection. It also effectively reduces the “pre detection”
bandwidth. My understanding of the setup in your paper does not do this
sort of filtering. It simply operated directly on the downconverter signal.
 Is this correct? I may have missed something really obvious in a quick
read of the paper…..

Thanks!

Bob

All the filtering and down mixing is done in the digital domain.
Anitialiasing filters in front of the ADCs are also be required.

A 2  (or more) receive channel SDR board would be a nice tool to use for this
provided the FPGA is large enough.

Most of the off the shelf SDR units (like the USRP) have more than enough FPGA. The "standard" software in the USRP is a digital down converter with an "IF" filter used as a front end for gnuradio. It streams the downconverted and bandlimited samples to a back-end PC via USB or Ethernet.

If you pick the right USRP models, you can lock the sampling clocks together or distribute the clock. I don't know if that distribution is sufficiently high quality for time-nuts kinds of applications. My experience with the USRP has been that the detailed documentation on this sort of thing tends to be kind of light, if not non-existent. You might be digging into the source code to figure out what the interface is and how it's implemented.

The other thing is that the USRP is made as a "radio" and more particularly, one target market is people like grad students developing wireless comm software, things like MIMO algorithms, etc. In general, the oscillator and sampler quality isn't at "gnat's eyelash" kind of performance. If your primary market is developing multimegabit/second phy layer wireless comms, you tend not to be worried about phase noise at 10 Hz from the carrier.

The NIST paper discusses this aspect.

Bruce

On May 25, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Sherman, Jeffrey A. (Fed)