From: Mark Sims

I just added some code to Lady Heather to record and plot the time that the timing message arrived from the receiver (well, actually the time that the screen update routine was called, maybe a few microseconds difference). I am using my existing GetMsec() routine which on Windoze actually has around a 16 msec granularity. The Linux version uses the Linux nanosecond clock (divided down to msec resolution). I just started testing it on a Ublox 8M in NMEA and binary message mode... really surprising results to come shortly...

Mark,

Thanks for those updates.

For Windows lower than 8, turn on the high-resolution timer and you can get millisecond level (0.977 ms IIRC). You can also use the QueryPeformanceCounter and related functions for better precision.

 https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms644904(v=vs.85).aspx

However for current Windows (8, 8.1 10) the situation is much better as you can get 100 ns precision using the new GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime call:

 https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh706895(v=vs.85).aspx

I wrote up a little more here:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/TSCtime.html

based on: