To further clarify my question about which UTx timescale to use with NTP, or if
or how to interpolate the values I've attached two plots from IERS for the past
60 days.

BTW, notice last week we had another rare moment -- where the Earth had a near
perfect 86400.00000 second day!

My question is, if someone were to compare a NTP/UTC system and a NTP/UT1
system would you want the daily / weekly / monthly phase difference plot to
look exactly like these IERS plots? Or do you want annual smoothing that
flattens all the wonderful wiggles and wandering of the Earth's actual spin.

In other words, are the proponents of using UT for computer timekeeping
off-grid anti-atomic natural-rotation mother-earth types? Or is using UT just a
way to smooth out leap seconds over an entire couple of years instead of
smearing them over part of day, like what Google does.

Thanks,
/tvb