It has been my experience that both chemistries have thermal cutouts for overcharge limiting and both can use chargers that detect the negative voltage slope when the cells heat up once they are fully charged, hence the ability to use the same chargers for NiCd and NiMH. I have many radios that started out with NiCd batteries and the newer replacements are NiMH.

David