Dave,

While this is a bit of a tangent out of normal time-nuts, it still has some relevance in terms handling of old equipment. Lets not get to crazy on this tangent.

We had a similar issue many years ago. The BGA mounted chips would break away from the boards and rattle around after transport. Quite annoying for new gear.

The investigation took quite some time, but in the end, it turned out that the gold layer had got too tick, and as you solder gold, it dissolves into the solder, and if you now have too high ratio of gold, you get brittle layers of gold-tin alloy which is much more fragile than a solder joint is. As the PCB fab got their gold layer thickness in control, the problem went away.

One method used in hand-soldering of gold-layered boards is to solder it, then clean it right off and then solder again. This way most of the gold gets removed and a clean contact achieved.

Gold does have benefits for the connector parts among other things.

Cheers,
Magnus