Yes I'd be curious in knowing more about this as well.  I've often observed
time differences from other stations of several tenths of a second when running
the JT modes on HF.  Although I am beginner at EME I have made a couple of EME
(earth moon earth) JT65 contacts on VHF without taking any special measures to
sync the time on a Windows XP machine beyond using the built in features of the
operating system to sync to my own local time server which was in turned synced
to the 1 pps output of a GPS timing receiver.

I've also made FSK441 contacts (another related form of amateur radio digital
communications) in the field without any time reference besides the free
running clock in my Windows xp laptop.  If there is a significant performance
improvement to be had with these modes by having time nuts levels of timing
precision on my computers I'd be very interested to know more.

All the best
Mark S

Sent from my iPhone