I thought of a WiFi+NTP variant, but I haven’t played with the various ESPxxxx
WiFi modules that are in vogue for Arduino and the like. From what I know about
those, it’d probably be easiest to ditch the board’s ATTiny841 and just add
support for the bit-banged SPI display controller directly to the ESP itself.

That said, you could probably add that same support - or even support for
*proper* SPI - to the Pi as well. I’m using the MAX6951 for this, and I like it
a *lot*.