Hi

> [...]
>> Overall I would guess > 500 ns, are there measurements on this?
>
>> This then defines some lower bound of what can be archived for
>> synchronizing the clock off the OS. Also hardware time stamping on a
>> dedicated PPS card (or PTP ethernet card) does not help unless the clock
>> on the card is synchronized to the clock used by the OS.
>
> On Intel processors newer than the core2 it appears that there are no
> input pins that can be polled or used as an interrupt source.  Current
> AMD processors still have LINT0 and LINT1 pins that can be polled
> through the XAPIC interface, but using them would require modifying
> the motherboard to temporarily disconnect them from their usual
> sources. It seems likely that a transition on those pins could be
> timestamped within a few tens of ns.
>
> An option for Linux kernel 4.6 or newer on Skylake processors when
> using PTP on the chipset ethernet would be to use the
> PTP_SYS_OFFSET_PRECISE ioctl to eliminate the problem you mentioned in
> the quoted text. See
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8497611/
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8497621/
> https://lwn.net/Articles/670081/
> It looks like the chipset and CPU share an "Always Running Timer"
> which the chipset can sample in sync with the ethernet PTP, USB[2] and
> audio timing registers, and it has a defined relationship to the CPU
> TSC. I didn't spot a way to timestamp a GPIO pin transition in the
> chipset datasheet, so this sort of kicks the can down the road when
> using PTP. It might be possible to use this to improve PPS over USB.
>
> Skylake chipsets have three 16550-compatible UARTS, so depending on
> how they are connected internally (might be on the LPC bus) the line
> status signals may have very low read latency. It looks like they are
> supported in Linux 4.3 and newer; has anyone tested them?
>
> For now I've focused on using parallel port cards for PPS capture. The
> machine I'm using has a Q67 chipset and i5-2500 processor (the Q67 is
> one of the last chipsets with native parallel PCI). There is no option
> in the BIOS to disable clock spread-spectrum so it's probably active.
> The system XO was replaced with an IDT525 so I can use 10MHz sources.
> I added a polling mode and PPS echo to the Linux 4.1 pps_parport
> driver.
>
> Using a Lava parallel PCI card, port reads and writes take an average
> of 962ns when done in a calibration loop with the processor TSC. For
> measurements I'm using a TIC hooked to the PPS input and echo output,
> and Miroslav Lichavar's ppsallan program[3].  The counter I'm using
> only has GPIB and I don't yet have an interface card, so I can only do
> short tests with it at the moment since I have to watch it.  I've
> listed some results below with a test time of 1 minute. The system
> oscillator and PPS source is an Endrun Technologies Praecis Cf, so all
> the data below should be showing only the PPS capture error.

Some 1588 chip sets have (or had, I haven’t looked recently) external sync
pins.
This does get into the whole, what’s a motherboard / what’s a peripheral
debate. Plugging in a 1588 card to get that pin probably no longer counts
as a simple solution. If plugging in a card *does* count then that opens up
a lot of possible options.

Bob