Hi

There also was an intermediate phase between channel frequency -> crystal
frequency -> you buy a crystal and synthesizers.
My early fun and games at Motorola involved designing TCXO’s and OCXO’s that
had non-replicable crystals in them. We shipped
them as a fully sealed unit. The compensation on them was very specific to the
crystal involved. The assembly was such that
replacing the crystal likely broke the part in some way. At the very least it
required you to re-weld the case on the TCXO’s.

So yes, in this context (as opposed to the market in general) radios based on
complete oscillators dominated a *long* time ago.

Bob