Hi

To the extent that the device runs like a 4100 or a 6100, it does not need any
software to support it. The same may be true of the 6300. They all run from a
drop dead simple serial command set. On the 6100 you fire up a terminal program
at 38.4 K baud 8N1 and type away. All of the features of the 4100 and 6100 can
be utilized this way.  The super duper XP only software is a joke with these
boxes.

On the boxes that *do* need software to run them, the stuff is node locked. You
don’t just need the software, you also need a license key dongle(?). For boxes
that are inside the support window (6300 or later) that’s roughly a $1K sort of
expense. Exact cost is something I never dug into. I simply passed on the idea
of one of the fancy modern boxes.

Spirent has indeed dropped all support of anything earlier than the 6300. The
only exception appears to be for people who have agreements in place on
specific boxes that pre-date the 6300. It is unclear how much of an extension
that gives people. It’s a topic right now on the 6100 since normal support
stopped at the end of 2016. Since the 4500 is still being sold, I suspect you
can get a support agreement on it. I would *guess* the software would be
available under support …. maybe not ….

Bob