On 4/11/17 9:22 AM, Magnus Danielson and Rick Karlquist wrote:

This is in the category of projects where if you were qualified
to do it, your time is far too valuable to do it for the amount
of money you would save.

This is the type of project you do not to save any money, but to spend
and learn.

Even if done in a much more modern fashion, avoiding several of the
traditional problems, there is plenty of issues to solve and handle.

I would agree, after watching the folks in my area doing the Cold Atom Lab (which makes Rb Bose Einstein Condensates in a "benchtop" unit) here at JPL. It's similar in many ways to building a Rb reference.. lasers, Rb cells, etc.; countless things to do, to figure out, and none of them are easy.