For some reason I am not getting the individual emails so I apologize for not
replying more promptly.  I’ll have to check my profile.

As far as I can tell from the notes, and by the way, the number of notes was
why I was trying to move this off list, to get to .001hz I need to measure over
1000 seconds.  This is ok.  Since I am looking for an average over time anyway,
this is not a problem.  By the way I am using a GPSDO and planned to use it
divided down for the gate.

The only reason I mentioned a prescaler was that there was a 12 digit counter
schematic on the web that looked pretty complete.  This person used a prescaler
and I was trying to wrap my head around how this helped with resolution and I
guess from the replies, that is not a practical solution (using a prescaler)
when you want high resolution unless I use the inverse operation which I can’t
remember what it is called off the top of my head.

I’ve seen some HP 12 digit counters but since I have a GPSDO and who knows how
many micro development boards around here, I thought I would take a run at it.

So to summarize, if I limit my high resolution to 99,999,999.999hz and use a
gate of 1000 seconds, would that get me to .01hz?  If not, then what would the
possible resolution be?

Thanks for all the input, very helpful.

Jerry