On 5/31/17 8:47 AM, Tom Knox wrote:
I think many of us Time-Nuts have played with the wide range of
frequency standards surplussed from the Telecom market.

My questions is, will the quality of future surplus offerings go up
or down as 4G and in the more distant future 5G surplus Frequency
Standards hit the market? It seems with higher data rates stability
and phase noise demands will increase, but will other advances find
ways around the expense of a high end Frequency Standard. I know some
early telecom systems even want as far as Cesium Standards, but more
robust network tolerances seems to have reduced the need for that
level of performance. So which way are we headed?

In general, higher data rates don't have as stringent close in phase noise/ADEV requirements - if you look at published jitter specs, they use phase noise from something like 10kHz to several MHz.

We encounter this all the time with deep space telecom, where historically, they'd do radio science with the carrier. When you're sending 8 bits/sec, you need a good quiet carrier so your receiver loop bandwidth can be small (to improve SNR). When you're sending 100 Mbps, not so much.

Higher carrier frequencies make things like Doppler more important - some of the high rate point to point links actually have problems with tall buildings moving in the wind. As a result, the modulation schemes and detection methods are moving towards more highly adaptive techniques which don't require as good performance for the oscillators.

Any thought? I imagine some members are actually involved in design
and implementation of the next generation telecom technologies and
will have direct knowledge.

Thanks;

Thomas Knox 1-303-554-0307 act...@hotmail.com