Hi,

Either that, or make protection schemes to save the day.
If you can't come up with a protection scheme that works, then you need to move on to another connector. A crow-bar circuit and a diode for reverse-bias and a fuse could probably form sufficient protection.

There is plenty of connectors around, and you can choose unconventional use of them.