Hi

The whole “offset frequency” simulcast thing is pretty old. It most certainly
pre-dates
GPS. It’s actually old enough that the first OCXO I ever designed at Motorola
went into that kind
of system. The “time sync” thing came along a while after that.

There’s always been a lot of infrastructure gear that goes on chugging for a
*long* time.
Budgets are pretty skinny for a lot of very important stuff. That doesn’t just
go for the
gear, it also goes for the payroll to support them. Maybe it should not be so,
but in most
of the places I’m aware of, it is.

Bob