My Z3801A happily accepted a recent year (2016?) when it rolled over.   You
have to do the power-down,   disconnect antenna, send corrected date, power
down, connect antenna, power up sequence.   I don't think the updated date
appears until the unit starts tracking satellites again.

Or, Lady Heather will detect rolled over date errors and correct them.

The latest Lady Heather v6 version can echo all the  receiver data as NMEA
strings to another serial port or TCP/IP connection with the (date/time
corrected.