On Tue, April 10, 2018 8:12 pm, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Since your typical PC does not have anything in it that is accurate to 0.1
> ppm, you still need something as a reference to compare things to.
> A GPS module or a GPSDO are probably the easiest things to get ahold of.

Catching up on some of the time-nuts traffic, some of the messages about
GPS API on phones make me wonder if a phone would not be a better option
for a typical non-time-nut user than a PC.  Setting up a GPS receiver with
PPS output with a modern PC that does not have a RS232 port available can
be pretty tricky (you would probably be starting with a bare circuit board
rather than a nicely packaged GPS device for starters), so maybe a phone
with GPS built in that lets you grab raw time data would be a better setup
for a user with limited experience setting up time measurement systems.

Or maybe a GPS Arduino shield and build a calibration system from a second
Arduino.
Multiple possibilities that are hard to rule out until the hard
performance limits are defined.

--
Chris Caudle