Hi

> On Sep 8, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Scott McGrath <scmcgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is precisely the scenario even a short GPS blackout of 1-2 weeks would
> cause.   Its not that GPS is not the finest time transfer system ever
> devised.   Its that with the loss of legacy systems we’ve lost the ability to
> degrade gracefully.

How will the presence of a “backup” system that in no way at all interconnects
with a cell tower have any
effect at all on it’s performance with loss of GPS ??? The legacy system (which
does not even exist)
has *zero* impact in this case.

> With a eLORAN system cell networks during a prolonged outage would probably
> degrade to 3G,

Except that they have no way at all to do that. They simply are not designed
that way and can not function
that way. The systems that *could* function at lower timing tolerance all got
scrapped out long ago. That
of course *assumes* that eLoran can deliver < 100 ns timing. Is there any data
to support that ?

Do any members have data on the 1 second timing out of eLoran? We’re about as
deep into it as any
group not working for the eLoran people. If we haven’t seen any performance
data …. I kinda doubt
anybody else has.

>  but they would still be up.   No you cant stream HD video or play GTA Online
> X,  but talk,text email and Facebook would still work Time transfer for most
> applications would still work.  The HFT boyos on Wall St would be SOL.  Not
> sure how to evaluate that eventuality.
>

> People like US need to educate political and business leadership on the need
> for BACKUPS to GPS

The reason the systems are designed just with GPS is *not* because “nobody
mentioned the need
for a backup”. There are indeed people out there who spent a lot of time
talking about this with the
guys who designed and spec’d these systems. The very simple answer *always*
came back:

1) There is no alternative out there

2) There is not FCC requirement to do so = cost is not justified

3) There is absolutely zero demonstrated need

That’s very much three strikes you’re out.

Bob