Am 10.03.19 um 01:38 schrieb jimlux:
Has anyone tried a +5V to +15V DC/DC to run an OCXO, getting the 5V from one of those rechargeable USB power bricks.  I was thinking about portable operation.

In my case, the OCXO is something like a Wenzel streamline. I would think that the DC/DC probably has some noise, but maybe DC/DC to a higher voltage, then a good linear regulator to clean it up (or would the radiated noise just leak around).

How quiet is the output from those USB battery things..I've used one to run a RTL-SDR, but that's hardly a ultimate low noise receiver.

That's impossible to predict. These boxes normally contain one Lithium cell and a DC/DC converter to 5V.

Its output noise depends on the skill of the designer and the mood of the bean counter. It is probably

not a high priority. Also, there my be "effects" from the interaction of their switcher and your's.

And the efficiencies multiply.

BUT:

3 of these Li cells deliver 12V in ultimate quality:

< https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/39972841815/in/album-72157662535945536/ >

The squares on the paper are 5mm.

Noise density is better than 1nV / rtHz above 100 Hz. You definitely need a fuse.  Ishort is >> 30A.

This Panasonic type is OK. There are lots of others on the market that claim twice the power capacity

but it's a blatant lie.

regards, Gerhard

(who thinks about using a dozen of these for portable EME tests on 432 :-) )