Am 10.03.19 um 15:54 schrieb jimlux:

True.. but there are a plethora of the USB 5V power blocks around - in general, there are lots of USB 5V (noisy, I'm sure), e.g. Cars now have 5V USB jacks, so I was thinking about designing with that in mind.

The question is really more one of "how much filtering do I need to design into the downstream power supply circuits"

It should not be too hard since there are no ground loops involved.

< https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/39972841815/in/album-72157662535945536/  >

The squares on the paper are 5mm.

Noise density is better than 1nV / rtHz above 100 Hz. You definitely need a fuse.  Ishort is >> 30A.

BTW, the next picture to the left is the noise of 2 cells = 8Vdc.

14 dB below 1 nV. The steep rise below 30Hz is the too small coupling capacitor.

for all practical purposes any legitimate 18650 sized Li-ion cell is around 3.5 Ah.
yes. the really good ones.

(who thinks about using a dozen of these for portable EME tests on 432 :-) )

You're going to run your kilowatt amp off 36 cells in series? Why not..

No, 100W from a GaN FET at 48V and <= 10 element antenna is more than enough.

The rest is mostly a Dell XPS13 notebook and a Red Pitaya + up/down converter.  Lunchbox size.

< https://www.redpitaya.com/   >

It is easy when your partner station looks like this:

< http://dl7apv.darc.de/Neue%20Antennen/Neue%20Antennen.htm   >

To be more on-topic, two Red Pitayas can be synced and should easily

provide the hardware for a Timepod work-alike. That would be 4 125 MSPS 14 Bit ADC channels,

two FPGAs and ARMs with Linux and web server.

(and with dual use as VNA, Bode plotter, signal generator...)

regards, Gerhard