Hi

With anything like this a very real question is “what am I trying to do?”.
Generally it involves
getting time from device A to device B. The next layer of the onion is “how
accurate is device
A?” and “how good does device B need to be?”. If the source is only good to 0.1
seconds, there
isn’t any way the destination will be any better than that. Once the link is
10X better than the
source, making it any better does not significantly improve the destination’s
idea of what time it is.

You can do pretty well with serial streams that have a definition of which
point in the string is the
“time mark”. That assumes your gear has a good way to link that point in the
string to your local
source clock (at the origin) or the flywheel clock (at the destination). This
may not be as easy to
do as one might hope. Often the packaged solution that already worked out all
this mess wins
out.

Bob