My idea is that for the time this was built and used, there was little or
no need for really
accurate time keeping in most astronomy work.  The high accuracy/precision
needs
really didn't arise until the beginning of what I'll call "modern
astronomy", which I'll loosely
define as the discovery of the first pulsar, or the first use of VLBI
(whichever came first).

I took the "Astronomy 101" course during my freshman year at UMich in
1965.  I just
now realized that I was basically 2+ years too early.  At the time I took
the course, the
text used was 10 years old, and it didn't seem to me that much was going on
in the field.
Little did I know what was soon to come ...

Dana