On 7/1/20 1:41 PM, ed breya wrote:

Yeah, I know. I was just lamenting the lack of nice medium-density count functions in 74AC. It's hard to beat the simplicity of a '390 when you

Anyway, I've always liked having a wide assortment of MSI logic devices available in all families, that you just hook up and it goes - no setup, no programming. I've saved lots of counter types for possible use. One obscure one is the MC14566, with divide 6 counters for clock time readout and generation, in the old days.

That's sort of the design goal for the 22V10 and earlier PAL devices - keep them in familiar DIP packages, power on the corners like the IC gods intended, and you can program it to replicate a whole variety of MSI functionality, often with the same pinout.