Hi Jim,

Den 2021-11-28 kl. 01:26, skrev Lux, Jim:

Not only is the CSAC low power (~ 100 mW) it's physically small, which is attractive for some applications (inside a cubesat, for instance).  It used to be price competitive with a Rb, too ($1000-1500, as I recall) but now they're about $5k.  Microsemi also has the NAC (which is more a conventional Rb, but small)

Parameter    NAC1        CSAC
Aging        3E-10/mo    9E-10
        1E-9/yr        10E-9

ADEV        2E-11 @ 100sec    2.5E-11
        8E-11 @ 10    8E-11
        2E-10 @ 1 sec    2.5E-10

phase noise
        -86 @ 10    -70
        -120 @ 100    -113
        -138 @ 1000    -128
        -143 @ 10k    -135
        -148 @ 100k    -140
        -150    floor

max chg        1E-9 (-20 to 65) 5E-10  (-10 to 35)

pwr        1.2W op        0.12
        1.8W warm    0.14
A good comparison.

In addition, for some application weight of the CSAC is also very attractive.

I'm not to say that CSAC is bad, but rather that one has to understand that it is a product intended for certain uses, and for those contexts it is a very interesting option, but outside of those contexts, there may simply be better suited options. It being "cesium" is not the magic keyword thought.

Cheers,
Magnus