Hi Carsten
I'm indeed using a similar setup where a TCXO is used as HE clock.
The PPS triggers a 32 bit capture and the SW PLL controls the Vtune of the TCXO The PPS is generated using another timer which gives me the possibility to either output a PPS or 10MHz I'm using a TCXO because of cost,  power consumption and size reasons and the performance is good enough for my application.
An OCXO would for sure perform better.
Erik.