Hi Carsten,

On 2022-05-14 11:38, Carsten Andrich wrote:
Hi Magnus,

On 14.05.22 08:59, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote:
Do note that the model of no correlation is not correct model of reality. There is several effects which make "white noise" slightly correlated, even if this for most pratical uses is very small correlation. Not that it significantly changes your conclusions, but you should remember that the model only go so far. To avoid aliasing, you need an anti-aliasing filter that causes correlation between samples. Also, the noise has inherent bandwidth limitations and futher, thermal noise is convergent because of the power-distribution of thermal noise as established by Max Planck, and is really the existence of photons. The physics of it cannot be fully ignored as one goes into the math field, but rather, one should be aware that the simplified models may fool yourself in the mathematical exercise.

Thank you for that insight. Duly noted. I'll opt to ignore the residual correlation. As was pointed out here before, the 5 component power law noise model is an oversimplification of oscillators, so the remaining error due to residual correlation is hopefully negligible compared to the general model error.

Indeed. My comment is more to point out details which becomes relevant for those attempting to do math exercises and prevent unnecessary insanity.

Yes, I keep riminding that the 5 component power law noise model is just that, only a model, and it does not really respect the "Leeson effect" (actually older) of resonator folding of noise, which becomes a systematic connection of noise of different slopes.

Here you skipped a few steps compared to your other derivation. You should explain how X[k] comes out of Var(Re(X[k])) and Var(Im(X[k])).
Given the variance of X[k] and E{X[k]} = 0 \forall k, it follows that

X[k] = Var(Re{X[k]})^0.5 * N(0, 1) + 1j * Var(Im{X[k]})^0.5 * N(0, 1)

because the variance is the scaling of a standard Gaussian N(0, 1) distribution is the square root of its variance.
Reasonable. I just wanted it to be complete in the thread.

This is a result of using real-only values in the complex Fourier transform. It creates mirror images. Greenhall uses one method to circumvent the issue.
Can't quite follow on that one. What do you mean by "mirror images"? Do you mean that my formula for X[k] is missing the complex conjugates for k = N/2+1 ... N-1? Used with a regular, complex IFFT the previously posted formula for X[k] would obviously generate complex output, which is wrong. I missed that one, because my implementation uses a complex-to-real IFFT, which has the complex conjugate implied. However, for a the regular, complex (I)FFT given by my derivation, the correct formula for X[k] should be the following:

       { N^0.5     * \sigma *  N(0, 1)                , k = 0, N/2
X[k] = { (N/2)^0.5 * \sigma * (N(0, 1) + 1j * N(0, 1)), k = 1 ... N/2 - 1
       { conj(X[N-k])                                 , k = N/2 + 1 ... N - 1

If you process a real-value only sample list by the complex FFT, as you did, you will have mirror fourier frequencies of opposite sign. This comes as e^(i*2*pi*f*t)+e^(-i*2*pi*f*t) is only real. Rather than using the optimization to remove half unused inputs (imaginary) and half unused outputs (negative frequencies) with N/2 size transform, you can use the N-size transform more straightforward and accept the losses for simplicity of clarity. This is why Greenhall only use upper half frequencies.

Cheers,
Magnus