On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 09:31:36PM +0100, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:

> I successfully set up a tunnel with tinc using the tun interface.
> 
> however I need a tap device, because I need to run the OLSR routing
> protocol on the tunnel and if I use the tun mode OLSR will just skip
> the interface. (It is a well known thing, I had this issue before also
> when using OpenVPN in the past).

On Linux, you only have /dev/net/tun. It can work both as a "tun" and as a
"tap" device. Tinc will automatically use it in the tap mode when you use Mode
= switch.

> I created the tap0 interface with tunctl, however I have no tap0
> characted device in /dev

There is only one /dev/net/tun file, but each program that opens it gets its
own network interface, or if you use tunctl, it can access one you
preconfigured.

> So in my tinc.conf a directive like:
> Device = /dev/tap0
> 
> makes no sense.

No, if you want to use the tap0 interface, add the following to tinc.conf:

Interface = tap0

If you do not specify Interface on Linux, tinc will use the netname as the name
of the interface.

-- 
Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
     Guus Sliepen <[email protected]>

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to