Awesome! Now I think I finally understand how to do this. Thank you very much. (Just to confirm, I need to assign the new additional IP on physical adapter for each non tinc PC and on tap adapter for tinc gateway PCs, right?)

Andrew.

On 7/10/2010 2:14 p.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
Sure it's possible, you just need to assign each node a new IP in the 10.30.1.0/24 <http://10.30.1.0/24> network. It's not part of the Tinc configuration, it's part of the network configuration of each computer.

All Tinc is doing, is creating a layer 2 path for them to reach each other. Yes broadcasts will traverse the VPN. It literally is virtual ethernet over the internet. :)

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Andrew Savinykh <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Donald, thank you for this.

    Do i read you right that to be able to receive broadcasts across
    LANs I have to use the address space that I already have and make
    sure that this space is the same for both LANs?

    What I'm trying to do is to define a *completely new subnet* that
    will act as the common LAN foR both LAN A and LAN B.

    To re-iterate:
    I have one router that is 10.1.1.1 and gives out DHCP 10.1.1.* and
    the other router 192.168.0.1 that gives out DHCP 192.168.0.*.
    I would like to leave these address spaces alone and define a new
    on 10.30.1.* that computer from both networks can participate in
    effectively forming a new virtual LAN.

    Is this possible with tinc? I know this possible with other
    software, I'm just having hard time figuring out if this is
    something I can configure tinc to do.

    Andrew




    On 7/10/2010 1:13 p.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
    Sorry you're right.  I was looking at the IP address schema where
    all nodes would use the 10.30.0.0/24 <http://10.30.0.0/24> network.

There's no need to install tap adapters on the other devices. You have basically 2 realistic options if you want the LAN function

    You can specify multiple IP addresses for a single interface,
    even in Windows.  You'll find this under the TCP/IP properties of
    the network adapter.  And clicking on the Advanced button on the
    page where you can set a static IP or designate DHCP.

    A 2nd option would be to re-ip one of your locations so that they
    all use the same subnet natively.

    Bridging the tap adapter allows your network frames received by
    your physical interface to reach the TAP adapter and therefore
    traverse the VPN.  This enables later 2 connectivity, the same
    way a real switch does.  Virtual Ethernet over the Internet is
    how I like to describe it.  This is how I have my VPN configured
    personally.

    Without the bridge, a frame that is received at the physical
interface has the frame stripped off and the packet inspected. Now we're talking layer 3. If the packet is destined for a
    network on the other side of the VPN, your Tinc node frames the
packet back up with a new frame, and sends it over the VPN. This act of stripping the frame, reading the packet for the
    network destination, and applying a new frame to get it there is
    what Routing is.  Without the bridge in place, your Tinc node is
    literally routing between the physical interface and the tap
    interface.  With the bridge, you're creating a layer 2 pathway so
    the frames can shoot across directly.  Of course this means both
    sides need to be on the same subnet which you obviously already know.

Be warned that this configuration comes with it's drawbacks. DHCP will traverse your VPN. I had location A computers getting
    addresses from location B which makes for some really inefficient
    internet traffic.

    Regards,
    Donald
    On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Andrew Savinykh
    <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

        Donald, thank you for the explanation.

        I understand the part about the switch mode and absence of
        subnet in tinc.config.
        However, could you please explain what bridging the tap
        adapter will achieve and what kind of ip address will be used
        on tinc nodes and in the rest of the network.

        In my example one household has local network addresses of
        192.168.1.* and the other has 10.1.1.*
        If we don't install tap interfaces on other PC's this means
        that the other PCs won't have another ip address.
        I understand that bridging is going to solve this somehow,
        but I still don't see how broadcast from 10.1.1.7 can reach
        192.168.1.5 in the other LAN.

        In short I don't understand how bridging to adapters work.
        I'll try to google this topic to get a better understanding,
        meanwhile, could you please explain
        how this applies to our tinc configuration case.

        Also can you briefly describe what we achieve by setting
        PMTUDiscovery = Yes. I read the description in manual but it
        didn't tell me much.

        Thank you again for all your help,
        Andrew




        On 7/10/2010 11:40 a.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
        Oh okay.  Yes you can make it appear as a single LAN.  Your
        Tinc nodes will behave as bridges instead of routers (or
        gateways as you put it).

        Your tinc nodes will have the same subnet mask and default
        router as all your other devices at that location.

        You will need to run the add-tap script only on the tinc
        nodes on each side.

        You will then need to bridge the tap adapter to the local
        area connection on the tinc nodes on each side.

        This will create a bridge network object under your network
        connections.  This bridge will have the IP configuration you
        illustrated.

        You have the right idea in segregating the IP distribution
        while still using the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

        One both nodes are up and connected, and the interfaces have
        been bridged on the Tinc nodes for each location, you will
        have a virtual LAN between the two locations.

        Your Tinc configuration will be Switch mode.   This means no
        Subnet configurations are required in your tinc.conf

        Your tinc.conf will be something like

        Name = NodeA
        ConnectTo = NodeB
        Interface = <something>
        Mode = switch
        PrivateKeyFile = <path to the rsa_key.priv>

        Host files will be something like
        For the host file named "NodeA"

        Address = <host.dyndns.org <http://host.dyndns.org>>
        PMTUDiscovery = Yes

        --Begin RSA etc. etc.--


        On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Andrew Savinykh
        <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

            Donald,

            thank you, while I still have some questions, your
            answer is definitely a step in the right direction.
            In the other reply I was asked what I'm trying to
            achieve. Let's consider the following scenario (which is
            quite similar to the one that described in the tinc manual).

            Let's assume we have two households, each has 3-5
            computers in it.  Both house holds have similar network
            configuration:
            They are connected to internet with an ADSL line and a
            router.
            The computers in the local network access internet via
            the router.
            The router is configured so that one of the computers
            have port 665 forwarded to be accessible outside.
            The external IP is changed rarely and there is dynamic
            DNS service (external) in use to accommodate for the
            change of IP when it happens.

            One household has local network addresses of 192.168.1.*
            and the other has 10.1.1.*
            I'm installing tinc on one computer in each household.

            The goal is to let all computers in both house holds to
            see each other by ip address. Also it is desired that
            for computer games purposes
            all computers appear to be on the same LAN (for
            broadcasts). But this is not mandatory. (it appears that
            it's not possible without installing tinc on every PC
            as every tinc daemon serves a subnet and two tinc
            daemons can't serve a part of subnet each)

            All computers run different flavours of Windows, most
            being Windows 7.

            I have two ideas how to set this up, although I'm not
            sure if any of these two works:

            IDEA1.
            =====
            Household A
            Gateway IP: 10.30.0.1
            Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Gateway Default Gateway: ????

            Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.2,3,4 etc
            Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Other PCs Deafult Gateway: 10.30.0.1

            Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.0/25 <http://10.30.0.0/25>

            Household B
            Gateway IP: 10.30.0.129
            Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Gateway Default Gateway: ????

            Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.130,131,132 etc
            Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.129

            Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.128/25 <http://10.30.0.128/25>


            IDEA2.
            =====
            Household A
            Gatway IP: 10.30.0.1
            Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Gateway Default Gateway: ????

            Other PCs IP: 10.30.0.2-255 etc
            Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.1

            Tinc Subnet: 10.30.0.0/24 <http://10.30.0.0/24>

            Household B
            Gateway IP: 10.30.1.1
            Gateway Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Gateway Default Gateway: ????

            Other PCs IP: 10.30.1.2-255 etc
            Other PCs Mask: 255.255.255.0
            Other PCs Default Gateway: 10.30.0.129

            Tinc Subnet: 10.30.1.0/24 <http://10.30.1.0/24>


            So IDEA 1 probably won't work at all. Will it? And with
            IDEA 2 the pc's won't appear on the same LAN and their
            broadcasts won't reach each other.
            As far as I understand I need to install TAP interface
            on each of the participating windows PCs, correct?
            What is specified in default gateway of the gateways?



            Thank you in advance,
            Andrew

            On 7/10/2010 4:36 a.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
            The PCs that you want to participate need to have a
            route for the VPN subnet pointing to their local VPN
            gateway, which would be the local device with Tinc
            installed on it.

            Theoretical configuration example.

            VPN subnet is 10.10.10.0/24 <http://10.10.10.0/24>

            At a location, one computer 192.168.1.254/24
            <http://192.168.1.254/24> connects to the VPN and
            serves as the VPN gateway.  This gateway needs to be
            configured for TCP/IP forwarding.

            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236 - windows
            
http://www.ducea.com/2006/08/01/how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-in-linux/ -
            linux

            Other computers local to the gateway need a route to
            the VPN network added so they know how to get there.

            In windows.   route -p add 10.10.10.0 mask
            255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254
            This will add the persistent route that remains after
            reboot.

            Does that answer your question?

            On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Andrew Savinykh
            <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

                Thank you for your reply. As far as I can see there
                is no point specifying subnet that consists of more
                than one PC in tinc config if you are going to
                install tinc on every PC in the subnet anyway.
                Correct me if I'm wrong.
                Now, assuming I'm right, there will be PCs in the
                subnet that don't have tinc installed on them. How
                to configure these PCs so they are a part of the
                subnet and participate in routing?

                Cheers,
                Andrew


                On 6/10/2010 10:13 p.m., Cédric Lemarchand wrote:
                Hi,

                I am not sure to understand what you mean with
                "joining" a subnet.

                But if your "local computer" need to reach the
                "remote subnet" served by tinc, you can set the
                local IP of the local tinc server as the default
                gateway, or add a route to the remote subnet via
                the local tinc IP. Of course, computer located on
                the remote subnet need the same thing.

                Cédric

                Le 06/10/10 09:37, Andrew Savinykh a écrit :
                 Hello all,

                I understand that each tinc daemon corresponds to
                one or more subnets that it "owns" a subnet can
                be a single ip or more.
                Could you please tell me what do I need to do to
                join a computer in local network (windows) to a
                subnet served by tinc?

                Thank you in advance,
                Andrew



        _______________________________________________
        tinc mailing list
        [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
        http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc



    _______________________________________________
    tinc mailing list
    [email protected]  <mailto:[email protected]>
    http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc


    _______________________________________________
    tinc mailing list
    [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
    http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc



_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to