I'm sorry that I'm asking basic networking question in specialized mailing list, if this is inappropriate please let me know.

But there is still something that I don't understand regarding the conversation below. Even if I assign each PC a new IP, how routing will work? I can put new IPs on the computers, but router will know nothing about them and because of it I don't see how PCs can see each other by these new IP addresses.

Andrew.

On 7/10/2010 2:14 p.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
Sure it's possible, you just need to assign each node a new IP in the 10.30.1.0/24 <http://10.30.1.0/24> network. It's not part of the Tinc configuration, it's part of the network configuration of each computer.

All Tinc is doing, is creating a layer 2 path for them to reach each other. Yes broadcasts will traverse the VPN. It literally is virtual ethernet over the internet. :)

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Andrew Savinykh <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Donald, thank you for this.

    Do i read you right that to be able to receive broadcasts across
    LANs I have to use the address space that I already have and make
    sure that this space is the same for both LANs?

    What I'm trying to do is to define a *completely new subnet* that
    will act as the common LAN foR both LAN A and LAN B.

    To re-iterate:
    I have one router that is 10.1.1.1 and gives out DHCP 10.1.1.* and
    the other router 192.168.0.1 that gives out DHCP 192.168.0.*.
    I would like to leave these address spaces alone and define a new
    on 10.30.1.* that computer from both networks can participate in
    effectively forming a new virtual LAN.

    Is this possible with tinc? I know this possible with other
    software, I'm just having hard time figuring out if this is
    something I can configure tinc to do.

    Andrew




    On 7/10/2010 1:13 p.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
    Sorry you're right.  I was looking at the IP address schema where
    all nodes would use the 10.30.0.0/24 <http://10.30.0.0/24> network.

There's no need to install tap adapters on the other devices. You have basically 2 realistic options if you want the LAN function

    You can specify multiple IP addresses for a single interface,
    even in Windows.  You'll find this under the TCP/IP properties of
    the network adapter.  And clicking on the Advanced button on the
    page where you can set a static IP or designate DHCP.

    A 2nd option would be to re-ip one of your locations so that they
    all use the same subnet natively.

    Bridging the tap adapter allows your network frames received by
    your physical interface to reach the TAP adapter and therefore
    traverse the VPN.  This enables later 2 connectivity, the same
    way a real switch does.  Virtual Ethernet over the Internet is
    how I like to describe it.  This is how I have my VPN configured
    personally.

    Without the bridge, a frame that is received at the physical
interface has the frame stripped off and the packet inspected. Now we're talking layer 3. If the packet is destined for a
    network on the other side of the VPN, your Tinc node frames the
packet back up with a new frame, and sends it over the VPN. This act of stripping the frame, reading the packet for the
    network destination, and applying a new frame to get it there is
    what Routing is.  Without the bridge in place, your Tinc node is
    literally routing between the physical interface and the tap
    interface.  With the bridge, you're creating a layer 2 pathway so
    the frames can shoot across directly.  Of course this means both
    sides need to be on the same subnet which you obviously already know.

Be warned that this configuration comes with it's drawbacks. DHCP will traverse your VPN. I had location A computers getting
    addresses from location B which makes for some really inefficient
    internet traffic.


_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to