Writing my own backend. I am trying to understand reg_classes

On the face of it, it looks like a list of registers with flags saying what
classes they are in (int , float..)

So get_reg works down the table looking for registers of the right class, fine,
got it.

But the RC_RET function uses a register class as an index into that table ,
R_RET(t) returned the class required for the return register and RC_RET used
that class as in index and then returned the value it found as a class. So this
is saying that the entries in this table are register classes not a list of
registers with their classes.

I must be missing something obvious cos the existing backends work 😊