Since the RX FIFO queue is something like 128 bytes, it would take a few
packets to make it overflow.  Page 33 of the CC2420 datasheet explains:

The RXFIFO can only contain a maximum

of 128 bytes at a given time. This may be

divided between multiple frames, as long

as the total number of bytes is 128 or less.

If an overflow occurs in the RXFIFO, this

is signalled to the microcontroller by

setting the FIFO pin low while the FIFOP

pin is high. Data already in the RXFIFO

will not be affected by the overflow, i.e.

frames already received may be read out.

A SFLUSHRX command strobe is required

after a RXFIFO overflow to enable

reception of new data. Note that the

SFLUSHRX command strobe should be