Sounds like a bug.

can you submit a bug report at
https://github.com/tinyos/tinyos-release/issues.   You'll have to get a
github login if you don't already have one.

There is filtering code that is supposed to deal with that in the AM stack.
 So either there is a problem in the documentation about how to use GROUP
or the code has a bug.

GROUP hasn't really been used that much.   Not sure how useful it is.
Because power is very important so transmitting and receiving on the same
channel messages that you aren't interested in is pretty wasteful of the
receiver's energy budget.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Kumar, Vimal (S&T-Student) <
vk...@mail.mst.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was testing DEFAULT_LOCAL_GROUP on TinyOS 2.1.2 for which I wrote a
> simple application with two motes bouncing a message back and forth. The
> motes received each other's message when they had the same group ID but
> even when they had different group IDs. I set the group IDs in the make
> file using the DEFAULT_LOCAL_GROUP directive. I can see that the group IDs
> are set correctly in the transmitted packet but the receiving node does not
> discard messages with different group IDs. Same thing happens with the
> BaseStation, which also does not make any distinction between group IDs. Is
> this a known issue or am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Thanks
> -vimal

Eric B. Decker
Senior (over 50 :-) Researcher