I can't remember if this site has been mentioned:
http://www.archive.org
It's a giant, well, archive with over 100 terabytes
of stuff. One part of their site contains over 1000
films that have been digitized and are freely available.
I've shown a couple in class through the classroom
Internet connection. Many of these are from the 40s and
50s and make for some pretty interesting social/cultural
commentary (e.g., one is called "I want to be a secretary").
Lots of educational/training films. Also a few like
"How the eye works" (as of 1940).

Enjoy,
Al

Al B. Shealy