Yes I, myself, DO realize that an online course done right can be just as
consuming as a face to face course. Honestly, with retirement on the horizon, I
would not consider it. Way too many skills to learn so as to do it right.

BUT I can see enterprising people taking short cuts, just providing the book
and prepackaged goodies and getting away with it, especially for a 'degree
mill'. Maybe not having 50-100 sections, OK, I exaggerated; but could have
hundreds of students enrolled with the "instructor" paid by the "institution"
on a head count basis, thereby encouraging big numbers. And hiring some
slightly-above-minimum-wage money-strapped students to help out.

And if you throw in sponsorship, then the whole thing can become a disastrous
nightmare that I hope we never encounter; but given society's current
zeitgeist, I just wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, it was the juxtaposition of those two emails that triggered that
frightening thought.

Also to address David's post: I think there is a huge learning curve for doing
online courses well, and perhaps some of the "misconception" comes from
experiences and examples of instructors who are new to the pedagogy who DO, in
fact, do it poorly, and then get held up for public scrutiny. Those who are
quietly doing it well are way too quiet--perhaps their energy has been expended
on the task itself. Back to a notion that we need to "sell" ourselves more
effectively as a profession because after all, what do I do? I am in the
classroom 6 hours a week and I make those big bucks for what? I just parrot the
same lecture I have for 20 years. Piece of cake. It's not just the online
component that is misunderstood.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology