Frantz, Sue wrote:

> Through the Improbable Research blog comes this article from Wired,
> "Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know
> Why."
> http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all
>
> **
>

> An excerpt:
>
> Some products that have been on the market for decades, like Prozac,
> are faltering in more recent follow-up tests. In many cases, these are
> the compounds that, in the late '90s, made Big Pharma more profitable
> than Big Oil. But if these same drugs were vetted now, the FDA might
> not approve some of them.

I doubt that the FDA wouldn't approve them. The FDA hasn't been very
independent for a very long time. Nevertheless, I recall reading years
ago that there never were any double-blind clinical trials on Prozac
that are worthy of the name. Apparently the side effects of Prozac are
so pronounced in so many people that the vast majority of the
experimental subjects were well aware that they were on the drug
virtually from the outset. Placebo effects ensued rapidly.

Regards,
Chris
--

Christopher D. Green