This is my reject during the tips-cation (new word like 'staycation' for
staying at home vacation; now when tips does down for a few days we can call it
a 'tipscation.'

I came across this article while seaching for something else. Certainly a very
narrow perspective but explains why so many fail to see psychology as a
'science'.

I was slightly taken aback when I heard a speaker at a psychology lecture
meeting claiming confidently that psychology was a science. Of course, if we
define science broadly, as the systematic search for knowledge, psychology
would qualify for that label. But it is not terminology that is at issue here,
but a matter of substantial importance.

When we talk of science, we primarily think of physical science. If a mother
said that her son was studying science at Cambridge, would psychology come
first to the listener’s mind? The paradigm of the physical sciences is physics,
because its elegant theories based on ample observation and experimentation
provide clear explanations and reliable predictions. It also provides the
foundations for the technologies which have transformed our lives. The man on
the Clapham bus may not understand the laws of physics, but he happily relies
on the means of transport based on those laws.

In consequence, the methods of physics become the model of scientific
methodology.

Full article available at:
http://www.philosophynow.org/issue74/74rickman.htm

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.