I just took a look at this article.

It is a pretty silly and naïve argument based largely on questions about the
scientific merit of self-report data, with the underlying assumption that all
psychological findings are based on self-reports and other "communications."
Rickman's claim is that all communications are subject to interpretation and
error and consequently are not acceptable as valid scientific observations. I
grant that these data can be inaccurate, but the assumption that observations
and measurements of phenomena in the physical sciences are by their nature
infallible is awfully naive.

An example of the author's failure to understand psychological research is
given by the following joke (quoted from the article), which clearly
misrepresents the behavioral approach to psychology:

"Why not focus on studying observable human behaviour, as you can study the
movements of falling bodies and theorise on that evidence? After all, humans
are behaving bodies. There are various flaws in this approach, and one of them
is illustrated by a well-targeted joke. Two behaviourists spend a night
passionately making love. In the morning, one says to the other, “It was good
for you. How was it for me?”"

Does this depiction of behavioral methodology resonate with any hard-core
behaviorists out in TipsLand?
It is laughable, although not for the reasons the author intended to
communicate.  Heh - guess he provides some direct evidence about the flaws of
communication part.

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director, Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor, Psychology
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514 – 5751

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 or  473-7435