At my university, the undergraduate catalog defines grades this way:

A -- excellent
B -- good
C -- average
D -- barely passed
F -- failed
I -- incomplete

            So, "C" is "average," eh?  To check this definition I downloaded
all grades for undergraduate courses for the just completed semester.  Here is
the distribution of final grades:

A -- 38%

B -- 30%

C -- 18%

D -- 7%

F -- 7%

I-- 1%

Mode = A, Mean = B, Median = B.

 I have proposed that the catalog be updated to read this way:

A - Average

B - Barely average

C - Could have been average if the student had attended class, read the book,
completed the assignments, etc.

D - did worse than Dubya

F - Failed, but if the student begs enough for post hoc extra credit, this can
be changed.

I - I am still trying to decide whether to give the student an A after e put so
much effort into persuading me it is not e's that e did not get an A and that I
would be responsible for ruining e's life if I gave any grade other than an A.