On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:31:54 -0800, William Scott wrote:
>Make Palij wrote:
>
>"The reason for this appeared to be that students could drop a course without
>consequence up to the 12th or so week in the semester.  So, students who saw
>that they were failing going in the final weeks could drop the course with
>their G.P.A. unaffected."
>---------------------------------------

Please note that the above quote is from an ancedote that I was relaying
and not a result from a research study.  I even labelled this "Personal
Anecdote Department" in order to make clear that one should be
cautious about making the "anecdote=data" confusion.  That being
said, more comments below.

>If this were true, and was the reason for grade inflation at that institution,
>then we should have nothing to worry about. The students were still receiving
>accurate grades and credit for courses in which competent work had been
>completed.

Or students could look for teachers that were easy graders or
gave courses with lax standards.  I'm sure that one can come up
with all sorts of alternative reasons for why the grades of the students
with the "12th week drop option" would not be an accurate reflection
of that student's performance unless:

(1) there were uniform, valid, and reliable testing for the material
in a course that provided scores that were comparable across
instructors, departments, and time, and

(2) one has a specific theory as to the type of knowledge that a
person should have from a specific course and how the testing
provides evidence of the existence of such knowledge and
its extent.

If the above conditions can be met, shouldn't we have national
tests for each college course that would "fairly" evaluate all
students taking a specific course (e.g., psychological statistics)?

> However, I doubt that the grade inflation disappeared after that
>loophole was closed.

Because my imcomplete memory is irritating me, I've tried to find
some corroboration for it.  One source is a NY Times article from
May 31, 1994 titled "At Stanford, A Rebellion of Grades".  If you
have access to the Proquest newspaper database, you can find it
there.  Some points made by the article:

(1)  There is no grade of "F" at Stanford

(2)  A grade of "C" is "fast becoming extinct"

(3)  A student could drop a course on the day of the final exam
with no consequences

(4) The median grade for undergraduates in the previous year
was "A-"

Now I'm not sure but I do have a feeling the grade distribution
might have changed after this point in time (the Wikipedia entry
refers to Stanford but does not provide much information --
any Stanford grads out in Tipsland?).  The point of the article
was that the faculty was attempting to institute new grading
policies.  However, not all people were in support of such a
move, as expressed in the following opinion by a former Stanford
student:
http://www.utwatch.org/archives/subtex/cleaver_issue4.html

>It sounds like a rationalization invented to explain the
>source of the inflation as something other than a reduction of standards. When
>I presented clear evidence of grade inflation to my institution, the response
>was "students are better now than they were then, therefore deserving of
>higher
>grades". I had to point out that the SAT scores had declined somewhat over the
>time period involved.

There is research on these points if one is interested, often by political
conservatives as represented in an article by Thomas Reeves on the
website of the National Association of Scholars; see:
http://www.nas.org/polArticles.cfm?Doc_Id=708

By the way, what was your suggested solution to grade inflation to your
administration?  Was it forcing grades to follow a particular distribution?
What was the rationale for this?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu