TIPSters,

Just want to offer my 2 cents...

In general, I have no problem with students using a dictionary in class.
However, I notice an increased amount of students using electronic
dictionaries.  I don't know how these work except I wonder about the
programmability of these machines as they become increasingly sophisticated.
I mean are they like the programmable calculators?  Conceivably, a student
could enter definitions into the dictionary with their foreign defintion and
I would never know.  But, because my experience has been that Asian students
are particularly honest about this I have not investigated.  Does anyone
know?

Also, I always offer it as an option for any student--ESL or otherwise.  The
last thing I need is for a student to protest over unfair treatment.  Since
most dictionaries don't have too many psychological terminology in them, I
don't really worry.

Rob Weisskirch
Department of Child and Adolescent Studies
California State University, Fullerton
P.O. Box 6868
Fullerton, CA 92834-6868
(714) 278-2896