I must confess I shared Tom Allaway's reaction.  I would hope the
student can differentiate psychological science from these other "shadows"
that characterize--some would say plague, psychological practice.  On the
other hand, there are serious ways to study whatever these terms are
referring to, or coming to mean, in pop-culture.  Perhaps, various
counseling programs, health psych degree programs?  It's hard to know
without getting more information about the student's search.  Perhaps, a
program in transpersonal psychology?  Perhaps some pastoral programs?
Perhaps, Deepak Chopra's institute (doesn't he have one?). I'd have a range
of feelings if my senior-level students wanted to go in that direction, but
then such interests/ideas/fields may appeal to some. I would probably try to
help the student consider such diverse options, her motivations for such
study and, frankly, be curious as to such interests....but then I'd wish her
the best. (yes, I would sigh a lot ;-)
    Gary Peterson

Gerald (Gary) L. Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Psychology