Carol DeVolder said, in response to the query concerning why
eye movements aren't paralyzed during REM sleep:

"Motor signals for eye movements are carried via the 3rd, 4th,
and 6th cranial nerves and don't pass through the reticular
formation."

The question reminded me of the historically important study of
Bremer (1937). Working with the cat, he reported on a
preparation he called the "cerveau isole" [isolated forebrain] in
which the brain was divided in two through the brainstem.
Bremer showed using the newly-invented EEG that only slow-
wave electrical activity was present in the upper part of the
brain, and there were no eye movements. Eye movements
should have been possible because they are controlled by
nerves exiting the brain above the level of the cut, namely the
oculomotor (III) and trochlear (IV) nerves. As Carol noted, this is
why eye movements are still possible during brainstem-initiated
paralysis of REM sleep.

Bremer assumed incorrectly that the failure of wakefulness in
the cerveau isole preparation was due to the loss of sensory
input to the brain. A modern interpretation is that it disconnected
the reticular formation from the upper brain.

See http://tinyurl.com/yjjdzon for a discussion by Panksepp of
this work.  Also, http://tinyurl.com/ygf5zge on p. 3 (Fig. 1.2)
shows the actual illustrations published by Bremer.

On 23 Feb 2010 at 18:49, Serafin, John wrote:

> And while I'm at it, I'll add my own question to this topic, which I've never
> come up with a good answer to.
> Some species sleep standing up. Why don't they flop over and fall down when
> they enter REM?

The answer, I believe, is that they do. If I correctly recall an old
paper I have somewhere in my files on comparative aspects of
animal sleep, ungulates such as horses and cows spend a lot of
time sleeping standing up, but they do enter REM sleep for short
periods. When they do, they lie down.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus