I have only scanned these posts, so hope I am not repeating old information.
Some data is out there ... they do not answer categorically the 'race' vs
'non-race' question, but better than no data at all ...

Basically, Jews from different countries are usually more similar to each other
(using DNA markers) than they are to their non-Jewish neighbors (Hammer et al
Jewish and middle eastern non-jewish populations share a common pool ... Proc
Natl Acad Sci USA 97, 6769-74, 2000). Though they are very similar to
non-Jewish middle eastern Arabs. Perhaps no surprise given the dual lines from
Abraham+Sarah (Jewish) -> Isaac, and Abraham+Hagar (Egyptian) -> Ishmael.

Further, DNA markers indicate the Falasha from Ethiopia have african (not
Jewish) markers (and the Mormons are NOT the lost tribe genetically at least).
However, the Lemba from South Africa ARE related, and have the same markers as
the Cohanim (who supposedly have markers different from other Jews, consist
with the historic Cohen priest role (Skorecki et al Y chromosomes of Jewish
priests, Nature, 385, 32, 1997)

And, to answer Michael S's previous question, yes there are Ethiopian Jews,
though not genetically similar. Though the % of Ethiopian Jews is small (less
than 10% I believe). And if I am permitted to put a plug in for Greece, early
all of non-Muslim Ethiopians are Greek Orthodox (but I have NO idea about the
genetics!) - they were Greek Orthodox before much of Europe was Christian
apparently.

I am not an expert on DNA or little else on this thread, except summaries on
these references, so I make no claims for the quality of the work summarized ..

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH 03264