Allen, I won't bore you with quotes either.  Before I get ready to head off to
synagogue, I'll just say that I gave you a few key sources.  Read Nicolson,
Koyre, and Koestler for starters. Of course, you can go to the correspondence
of Leibnitz, Newton, Hobbs, Tindal, Clark, Hooke, Haley, Boyle, etc.  You'll
see that things were not as simple and neat, cut and dry, or either/or as some
have made it seem.  When Newton said he was standing on the shoulders of
giants, from the classical Greeks to his contemporaries, he knew from whence he
spoke.  He didn't ponder that supposed falling apple out of the blue because he
had nothing else to do.  The quest to find out why things, from the cockroach
to man to the heavenly bodies, moved, what did the falling apple had in common
with the orbiting planters was at the center of all pondering of the time.  It
was, and still is, critical in the micro/macro view of the universe and man's
place in it.  And, not all these classical, hellenistic, medieval, renaissance,
and reformation giants agreed with each other, and certainly he disagreed with
many of his contemporary giants, especially over the perceived implications of
both his mathematical and biblical work.  Ultimately, Newton may have gotten
all the PR as expressed in Alexander Pope's eulogy, but it was the inference
Leibnitz' drew from Newton's laws of a mechanical universe devoid of Divine
involvement and intervention that went far beyond where Newton was willing to
go that Voltaire really promoted into what I'll call the 18th century
"Enlightenment Creed."   It wasn't that Newton was or became irreligious.  He
wasn't and did not.  It was that he rejected ecclesiastic structure and
authority, the divinity of Jesus, the Trinitarian Doctrine, biblical
infallibility, papal supremacy, maybe immortality.  He may have toyed with
Arianism, latitudinalism, occultism, millennialism, soscinianism, Cartesian
dualism, English deism (unlike French deism, English deism was not
anti-religious, agnostic, or atheistic), nicodemism, and a lot of other ideas
that were swirling about.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
Department of History                        http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, Georgia 31698                     /\   /\  /\                 /\
/\
(O)  229-333-5947                            /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__   /   \  /
 \
(C)  229-630-0821                           /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/ /\/  /  \
 /\  \
   \_/__\  \
                                               /\"If you want to climb
mountains,\ /\