Good point. The media is widely known for their right wing proclivities.

Just in case that might not be true, I think it might be more productive to
look for reasons that both the right and the left might fear finding that human
behavior is largely determined by environment.

Rick

Rick Froman
rfro...@jbu.edu

On Oct 15, 2010, at 8:04 PM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> The answer to the question in the subject line appears to be "Yes",
> at least that is the contention of Oliver James in an article that he
> wrote for the Guardian U.K.; see:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/oct/12/why-genes-are-leftwing
>

> Quoting the article:
>
> |Politics may be the reason why the media has so far failed
> |to report the small role of genes. The political right believes
> |that genes largely explain why the poor are poor, as well as
> |twice as likely as the rich to be mentally ill. To them, the poor
> |are genetic mud, sinking to the bottom of the genetic pool.
>
> And:
>
> |Instead, the Human Genome Project is rapidly providing a
> |scientific basis for the political left. Childhood maltreatment,
> |economic inequality and excessive materialism seem the main
> |determinants of mental illness. State-sponsored interventions,
> |like reduced inequality, are the most likely solutions.
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu
>

> ---